About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States
Born and raised in Germany, I believe the love for beer came to me naturally. I moved to the US in 2004 and I am really enjoying life here. You can take the girl out of Germany, but you can't take Germany out of the girl....I do miss it sometimes, but still go back at least once a year to visit my family in friends in Hamburg. I fell in love with the local CO craft brewery scene that has grown immensely over the last few years. I love the whole craft beer culture. Easy going, just like me, ha! I hope you enjoy following me as I make my way through the craft beer scene - one brew at a time (or probably a few more than that).

Friday, October 26, 2012

Frere Jaques, frere Jaques, dormez-vous?

Well, I actually mean Pere Jaques - a 2012 Belgian style ale made by Goose Island. I have to admit, Belgian beers might just be my favorite. And Pere Jaques does not disappoint. I am very fond of the beers the guys from Goose Island have been creating. The brewery opened its doors back in  1988 their style of brewing has been heavily influenced by owner John Hall's travels to Europe. (I've never been to the brewery, nor have I met John Hall, but I gotta say, I like what he does!)
So, but let's get back to the beer...Pere Jaques is sold in a 650 ml bomber, it's ABV is 8.7% . The label also states that it develops in the bottle for up to 5 years. Sorry, I cannot wait that long! But I believe it...


Pere Jaques ultimately is an Abbey Ale inspired by visits to Belgium. It is cloudy, with a dark auburn color. I noticed its beautiful carbonation in the glass; it therefore has a nice fizz. The smell is malty and somewhat fruity and you get subtle hints of the yeast that was used. For 8.7% it doesn't smell too boozy. The taste is on the sweeter side...lots of maltiness going on. But that's what Abbeys are all about. I think this is a great interpretation...Belgium would be proud if this beer!




Here's the second beer I tried last night... (quick disclaimer: I know am posting this on a Friday morning, but I am NOT drinking the beer right now! I do have a day job!!)...so the second one tonight is good old 'Matilda'. I've had this beer several times before, and it could very well be one of my Belgian all time favorites! It is very balanced between a light sweetness and bitterness and delicate sourness when you first sip it (sour beers are my other obsession).



Matilda is sold in a 4-pack and has an ABV of 7%. It has a clear Amber color and a nice fizziness.
If you like Belgian beers and ever get the chance to try Matilda, please go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment