About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States
Born and raised in Germany, I believe the love for beer came to me naturally. I moved to the US in 2004 and I am really enjoying life here. You can take the girl out of Germany, but you can't take Germany out of the girl....I do miss it sometimes, but still go back at least once a year to visit my family in friends in Hamburg. I fell in love with the local CO craft brewery scene that has grown immensely over the last few years. I love the whole craft beer culture. Easy going, just like me, ha! I hope you enjoy following me as I make my way through the craft beer scene - one brew at a time (or probably a few more than that).

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

First day of beer blogging

I cannot deny my love for the complex, sudsy stuff simply called 'beer'. It must be in my blood.
I was born and raised in Germany - the land of beer, right!? But it wasn't until I moved to the United States in 2004 (Denver Colorado to be exact) that I turned into a..let's say, beer snob.

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice German-style Pilsener or a good Altbier, but for me there was more to beer that just sticking to the dated purity law ("Reinheitsgebot"). The possibilities for creating a unique brew are basically endless!! There are so many ingredients to 'mess with'. I don't want to insult my home country, but common - live a little (YOLO!)

So, let's jump right in! Since I literally missed years of blogging about all this beer I've been consuming - let's not waste anymore time!!

It is that season for *drumroll* pumpkin beers! Love 'em or hate 'em - I happen to really like them a lot. I love fall and I love everything surrounding it, so pumpkin is not to be missed - especially in beer. Has something festive and comforting to in in my opinion....


I will have to work on my picture-taking-skills, but this was taken at the dimly-lit Rackhouse in Denver. One of my favorite places for food and (mostly) local beers. They make Stranahan's Whiskey right next door, so the neighborhood always smells like freshly baked bread combined with a sweet smell that I can't really compare to anything. Definitely worth a trip if you're ever in the Denver area.

What you see here is the Dry Dock Half Moon Pumpkin Ale, a seasonal that weighs in at a decent 5.7% ABV. A very balanced beer, not too overwhelming with either pumpkin or spices. It has a nice floral pumpkin note and a rich amber color. The taste of spicy clove, nutmeg & cinnamon will linger on your pallet for a little bit and reminded me of tannins in a dry red wine.


Another pumpkin beer was on tap - Sam Adam's Fat Jack Double Pumpkin. It weighs in at a full 8.5% and was therefore served in a smaller, 10oz snifer glass. Right away you smell the booziness of this brew, combined with a maltiness. It is slightly darker in color that the Half Moon. Again, the pumpkin and spice flavor is not overpowering, which I really like. After all, I don't want liquid pumpkin pie in a glass. Overall a nice seasonal that you certainly don't want to have one too many of.

No comments:

Post a Comment